Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Making tomato sauce


We have a secret sister program at our church and mine gave me a Roma Tomato plant. It has been producing tomatoes for weeks! I decided to try my hand at tomato sauce. I found a recipe on line that didn't make you take the skins off, so I went for it. Here is my report. First take 4 pounds of tomatoes.

Take 5 ounces of extra virgin olive oil and put into pan.

Heat the oil on a low -med setting until it just begins to simmer. If you heat it too long and it begins to smoke, throw it away and start over.

Add 5 cloves of garlic, sliced to the size of your pinky fingernail. I used some locally grown garlic given to me by a friend from our church.

Add garlic to the hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes. If garlic turns brown throw out and start over.

Add tomatoes, which were cut into quarters. Mash with potato masher. Turn the flame or burner setting to high and cook for 10 minutes.

Add 12 basil leaves. I used my own basil! Also add 1/2 tsp. salt.

Allow to cool to room temp. Then blend.

What I love about this recipe beside the fact that you don't have to take the skin off the tomatoes is that you can freeze it! I used it in Marti's Arroz Con Pollo recipe and froze the rest. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!
Made 40 ounces

No comments: