Thursday, January 02, 2014

Out with 2013, in with 2014!

Here in Central California it has been an unseasonably warm winter. I know I need to take the decorations down but decided on trying a little experiment.  I don't know why I have never tried it before.  I took my iPhone outside and played bird songs from my favorite bird app ibirdplus 

I noticed the return of the dark eyed juncos, so I played their calls and songs.  Low and behold many answered!  I got a photo of this guy up in the branches.  They are such a sweet bird.  Last year I noticed them more around April.  But this year they seem to be around earlier or maybe longer.  Their little pink beaks are such a blessing in the yard! Read about dark eyed juncos HERE

























Then I started on the hummingbird calls. This marvelous Anna's Hummingbird.  His head flashed a beautiful pinkish color.  They are around all year, so we are careful about keeping the feeders full.  You can read about them HERE.

Isn't he beautiful?  They are simply an amazing wonder of God's creation.  Then suddenly I noticed a Yellow Rumped Warbler. I also saw these last year.  You almost think they are just a sparrow, then you see the flash of yellow.  So amazing really.  You can read about them HERE.



 Look at him?  He really couldn't figure out what was going on.  Where was the bird singing the song?







Here he is looking around.  Check out my iPhone on the rock.  Why didn't I think of this before?  I'm especially proud of this picture


I've been a little sad that I haven't been birding for awhile.  But, I noticing my own backyard is full of life and excitement.  


I didn't want to leave this guy out.  Northern Mockingbird.  I thought he might peck my eyes out!  All in all, a very nice start to 2014.  I have an idea….I wonder if I can get owls to come if I play owl sounds?  What do you think?

Have a wonderful day!

No comments: